Prince Rupert’s Tower
Also known as:
- Stewbum’s Palace
- Stone Jug
- The Roundhouse
- Prince Rupert’s Castle
Opened in 1787
Grade II listed building
It was originally built as a village lock up or drunk tank.
Parish Constables would arrest criminals and drunks and lock them up overnight prior to their appearance in front of the magistrates in the morning.
The Tower fell out of use with the introduction of formal policing in the C19th.
Named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, a Civil War leader but built 143 years after he camped nearby to assault Liverpool Castle (1644).
In 1997 Everton FC paid £15,000 for the restoration of the Rupert Tower which has appeared on their badge at various times since 1938.