PSHE Website Information
At Everton Free School PSHE is taught on a weekly basis to all year groups. PSHE (Personal Social and Health Education) aims to develop students into well rounded citizens as they move through school into further education and employment as well as wider society.
Our PSHE delivery is underpinned by the key values of Everton Free School and Football College. Students are encouraged to approach each school day with the ‘Three R’s’ Respect, Responsibility and Resilience.
The aims of our curriculum are to develop students risk awareness around the key issues that face them as they grow into young adults. Students are also taught the key issues in RSE (Relationships Sex Education) such as healthy relationships, sex education in an inclusive manner considering LGBTQ+.
Year 11 are taught PSHE twice a week as part of their weekly timetable. Y9/10 are taught PSHE on a once weekly basis, in replacement of the second session of PSHE they are taught a humanities programme that is inclusive of historical and current issues around society, race and religion.
The programme of study for PSHE is listed below:
Content covered in these areas are listed below:
Substance Misuse and Self Identity
- Drug Misuse
- Risk taking behaviours
- Reasons for and against the use of drugs
- Drugs and the law
- Identifying signs of risk taking behaviours
Consent and Intimate Relationships
- Unprotected sex
- Myths and Misconceptions around consent
- Right/Capacity to withdraw
- Sex and the Media. Expectations and the Media
- STI/STD and contraception
- Negotiating Safer Sex
- Recognising sexual harassment
- Getting support and help for Sexual harassment
- Making choices
- Media and sex: Age ratings
Prejudice, Discrimination and Bullying
- Communities, inclusion, respect and belonging
- Equality Act, Diversity and Values
- Social Media influence on beliefs
- Cyber Bullying and how to report
- Misleading information
- LGBT/BLM/POC Representation
Mental Health Awareness
- Challenges in adolescents
- How to reframe negative thinking?
- Strategies to promote mental health and emotional wellbeing
- How to access support and treatment
- Portrayal of Mental health in the media
- Challenging stigma, stereotypes and misinformation.
E-Safety and Online Gambling
- Keeping safe online
- Dangers online
- Online Grooming
- Online Gambling
- Identity theft
- Sharing of nudes
- Law around nudes
- Understanding how to be safe online
Substance Misuse and County Lines
- County Lines and the Law
- Knife Carrying
- Healthy and Unhealthy Friendships
- CCE (Child Criminal Exploitation)
- Risk management in relation to gangs
Equality and Diversity
- How to respect other people’s beliefs and values
- Equality Act Diversity and Values
- Understanding Equality in the work place.
- Black History Month
- Diverse Families
- Smoking Cessation
- Relationship between physical and mental health
- Sleep and importance of sleep
- Eatwell plate
- Independent health choices
- How to make informed healthy eating choices?
- Firework safety
- About relationships, values role of pleasure in relationships
- Misassumptions about sex, gender and relationships
- Opportunities and risk of forming and conducting relationships online
- How to manage the impact of the media, pornography on sexual attitudes, behaviour and relationships
- Legal implications of consent
- How to recognise and respond to pressure?
- Exploitation, reporting and accessing appropriate support
- Victim blaming and how to challenge this?
- Asexuality, Abstinence and Celibacy
- Gender expression, Gender Identity
- Building Resilience
- Different types of families and changes to family structures
Me and My Rights
- Employment rights and responsibilities
- Equality in the workplace
- First Aid
- How to use a defibrillators?
- UNICEF Rights of the child
- Emergency and Non-Emergency situations and contact appropriate services
GOALS and Target Setting
- Feedback and Planning for the future
- How to set and achieve SMART Targets
- How to manage work/life balance
- Post 16 options and career choices
- Future destinations
- Employability skills
- Online presence and Opportunities to broaden experience
- Transferable skills and strengths and areas for development
- Decision making
Relationships and Sex Education
- Enjoying intimacy without sex
- Myths and Misconceptions of consent
- Capacity to withdraw
- Effective use of condoms and negotiating safer sex
- Consequences of unprotected sex including pregnancy
Identity and Relationships
- How relationships can change over time?
- How your feelings for someone can change over time?
- Different types of families and parenting including same sex parents, single parents and blended families
- Positive relationships in the home
- Reducing homelessness amongst young people
- How to handle unwanted attention including online?
- Challenging harassment and stalking including online
- Unhealthy, exploitative and abusive relationships
- Accessing support in abusive relationships and seeking support
- Abusive Relationships
Addressing Extremism and Radicalisation
- Communities inclusion, respect and belonging
- How social media may distort, misrepresent or target information in order to influence beliefs and opinions?
- How to manage conflicting views and misleading information?
- How to safely challenge discrimination including online?
- How to respond and recognise extremism and radicalisation?
Building for the Future
- How to manage the judgement of others and stereotypes?
- How to maintain a healthy concept?
- How to balance ambitions and expectations?
- How to develop self-efficacy? Respect, Resilience and Responsibility
- Stress: Causes, Nature and Effect of stress
- Stress Management strategies
- Healthy sleep habits
- Positive and safe ways to create content online
- Opportunities of using the internet for this
- How to balance time online?
- How to evaluate strengths and interests in relation to career development?
- About opportunities in learning and work
- Strategies for overcoming adversity
- Responsibilities in the work place
- Manage practical problems and health and safety
- Maintain positive personal presence online
- How to evaluate work experience?
- Enterprise and Employability
- CV writing